Trial Changes to Timed Parking

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter Share on Linkedin Email this link

This consultation has concluded.

Parking TrialA trial change to parking time limits in the Port Macquarie CBD will see some spaces changed from one hour to a two hour limit.

The trial change to parking time limits is one of the actions in Council’s overall Parking Strategy which aims to get the best balance between short and long term parking options.

Parking spots to be changed from one hour to two hours are located in Hay Street from Sunset Parade to Clarence Street; Clarence Street from Short Street to Horton Street; Short Street from Clarence Street to Barracks Lane; and Horton Street from Hayward and William streets.

Council is asking for your feedback on the trial changes.

Council's rangers will also closely monitor the impact of the changes and data gathered along with your feedback, will be used in considering a long term response to achieving the timed parking balance for business and shoppers alike.

Council is asking for your feedback on the trial changes.

Guest Book

Please feel free to describe your parking experiences and thoughts on the trial change to parking time limits.

Removed by moderator.

Vincedorna over 8 years ago

We are an elderly professional couple – 74/71 – who are intending to move to PM from the Sunshine Coast in Qld. Can I plead for the retention of a business district and an aware and thinking council which rightly respects the simple fact that creating shopper stress through over-controlled parking is one of the greatest killers of local business that’s possible to contrive. Cars are here to stay. Country populations need cars. Period. One can not easily or graciously be removed from the other. Consider this when creating a parking environment for your town. Stress-free parking and an enjoyable town are intimately interlinked. Simplistic and over-control thinking are argumentative bedfellows of happy and livable towns, especially when linked to financial penalties and increased council cashflows. Please be wary of those advocating such solutions. They’re town-killers.

r601a over 8 years ago

The new parking times are appropriate. All parking times are now good. We usually can find a park when we need to, except in peak times like Christmas

hefkps over 8 years ago

2 hour parking would enable people to have a more pleasant shopping experience. My partner is slow and unsteady on his feet and often has to stay in the car if in a one hour parking spot. Parking has always been an issue in Port and often My friends and I choose to go to Wauhope instead. Not good for business.

Peefer over 8 years ago

I agree to the 2 hour parking and think it works well, but we really do need more spaces. Port Macquarie is growing fast and to cater for the influx of holidaymakers and to encourage more visitors to shop here it is essential we increase the spaces.

EILEEN over 8 years ago

What we need in Port is all day parking,if we go to the movies,lunch,shopping us older ones that are not disabled find it hard to park a long way from town,two hours is not enough time,we would gladly pay say $5 for all day parking,the other day my husband who has a heart condition had to park right over by the church of england,it is also a matter of bringing money into the town its the shops that suffer as we are forced to leave early due to parking.

Miriam over 8 years ago

I am surprised that there are any 1 hour parking zones left in PMQ. This is not Sydney; there are plenty of parking spots available, some involving a short walk to the town centre. 1 hour is much too short a time to get things done. Recently had a medical appointment and decided on a coffee afterwards, but the 1 hour limit was up so I decided to keep driving out of PMQ to get my coffee elsewhere. Who loses? Obviously the PMQ shops and me because I am inconvenienced. Get rid of all 1 hour parking zones and stop the parking attendants booking people for parking in the Port Central car park (another silly rule).

Kennehy over 8 years ago

I have already had the experience where a scheduled appointment went over the hour by 16 mins and i received the $99 Fine.

Links PMQ over 8 years ago

The mix of 1 hour and 2 hour slots is good. I can usually complete what I need to do in less than 1 hour and if I need to stay for more than 2 I never have trouble finding a park up the hill at the eastern end of Clarence Street. Turnover of spaces is probably more important to many businesses than "longevity" so I think the central CBD blocks should stay at 1 hour. Are there any 1/2 hour slots?

Lyndal Coote over 8 years ago

I had been avoiding Port macquarie because, living 40km away, I always stored up my errands to do all at once, and 1 hour was not enough to do a few chores and have a coffee or lunch. I don't mind walking between chores, but it was unclear where longer parking or free parking was available. I'm sure businesses were losing out. Even a lunch in town with the girls takes more than 1 hour! However we do need a map of where the different parking is available.

jackieod over 8 years ago

I was so happy to learn of the 2 hour trial in certain parts of our CBD. So far I have heard only positive feedback and am personally all for these times becoming permanent. It was very refreshing to be able to go to my favourite local cafe in south Horton St and support their business without having to run out half way through breaky/lunch to move my car. Its also not too long and still allows a nice turn around for traffic - a perfect compromise I believe! Also once our popular little town recovers from the all exciting tourist season selected 2hr sections in my mind are ideal!! Great initiative!!

Sally10 over 8 years ago

I believe that parking in the CBD should be a mixture of times so that there is a constant flow of people around those businesses that can provide fast turnaround and those where customer require more time; forgetting not parking for our disabled and moving the taxi ranks to CBD peripheral areas of convenience.

Whiteknight over 8 years ago

Posted comment 1 min ago. But site crashed. I do hope my comments were received.

John Geisker

John G over 8 years ago

Since the one hour limit was introduced, I have found it much easier to get parking. I am concerned that the two hour limit will make it more difficult again. My needs in town generally require quite short periods, e.g. bank, pharmacy, newsagent. Most doctors I have visited are out of town. The all day parking at Coles does not seem to be well known (as opposed to Port Central) - some publicity may be required. Office buildings and retail developments (especially the former) need to have parking for staff and customers/clients.

John35 over 8 years ago

The 2 hour parking is a good idea as it gives you time to get everything done without having to move the car a few times. It also allows you time to see doctors who are always running late. Yes there should be more disable places as well, its not easy getting a wheelchair out of the car and still have time to do what you have to do in town.

Stefaniemum over 8 years ago

Different time slots seems sensible but it must be balanced throughout the whole town area. Another parking station is required away from the present one.

adornan over 8 years ago

I think parking in Port Macquarie is, as a rule good but, it would be FAR better to be able to have a 2 hour limit. Better for the business's in the town by giving more time for the general public to look around and maybe purchase more items !

Max over 8 years ago

The additional time is useful. Carvans, cars towing trailers and campervans/all large vehicles should be excluded as they take up the space of two cars. Dedicated bicycle racks should be installed as well.

rcflyer over 8 years ago

You have two disable parking spots in the entire main street,surely you can't believe this to be enough.With the 2hour parking the disabled would never get a park.

hodges over 8 years ago

Two hour parking is much more convenient, as many times you need to park a distance from where you need to be, so it gives you more time to carry out what you need to do. It is also a better time frame when yout are in town to have a meal etc.

squid over 8 years ago