Media release - 22 January 2015
Last year, Port Macquarie-Hastings Council wrote to the NSW Minister for Lands, seeking an opportunity to negotiate the sale of the Plaza Car Park site, on similar terms those given to Woolworths.
In response, the NSW Government has quietly opened an Expressions of Interest process for the site. Submissions must be finalised and submitted by February 6, just 10 working days from now, with no extension to this deadline considered.
“It will be very difficult for any company other than Woolworths to meet the deadline for submissions, given the amount of information required for a professional, detailed development design,” said Mayor, Councillor Peter Besseling.
“This process has clearly been designed to “tick a box”, for the government to be seen to meet a commitment to the community. It is not designed to get the best possible development outcome for the foreshore and is a token effort at best.”
“When the previous Labor government rammed through mining decisions just prior to the last state election, there was outrage. Now this government is trying to do exactly the same thing with our public foreshore.”
“Council intends to put forward an expression of interest, to keep the foreshore in public hands and to make sure that the community wishes to see a pedestrian friendly, interactive, commercial space that caters for parking are met,” said Councillor Besseling.
Consultation has concluded